Our motto is My School. My Choice. My Future.
CATEC is looking for an Assistant Principal.
The Impact you will have:
In this capacity, you will have the opportunity to change the lives of local students through your leadership and experience. It is our hope that you aspire to, one day, be the Director of a CTE center. In doing so, you will be directly contributing to the quality of the future workforce. In addition, you will also be helping the community by working with local employers to address what skills/training they need for their employees. CATEC offers 10 Programs and 2 Academies with certifications and educational pathways leading to exciting careers.
What CATEC is:
The Charlottesville Albemarle Technical Education Center (CATEC) is a regional technical education center that helps high school students and adults obtain the jobs they seek. Our centralized, unified career development program helps students develop strategic approaches to cultivating their careers.
CATEC houses two academies which offer educational and career pathways for students in partnership with post-secondary institutions and employers. Click here to read about the other programs that we offer. Students in the academies may qualify to receive industry certifications and credentials. These credentials are a valuable tool to gain full-time employment in growth industries with livable wages. Graduates also may continue their education utilizing the dual enrollment credits they received while in high school. We are jointly owned by the County of Albemarle and the City of Charlottesville, so we serve students from both divisions.
Click here to read more about CATEC’s mission and vision.
Who we are:
We are a small, close-knit staff of approximately 30 professionals who are committed to preparing our students for the workforce as we have been doing since 1973. We pride ourselves on being committed to our students and we work closely with area business partners. As a result, our students are ready to enter the work force when they graduate or they can use their training and certifications to obtain jobs that will pay for college tuition or pursue further training. Click here to see the list of who you will be working with.
What qualifications we need you to have:
You must meet endorsement requirements for a school principal in the State of Virginia. You will need to be knowledgeable about Career and Technical Education rules and regulations as set forth by the VDOE. In addition, you will need to be familiar with local workforce agencies, trends, and data.
What you will be doing:
You will be working 260 days a year, 8 hours a day helping to enrich the lives of local high school students who choose CATEC as an elective. Students are here for 2.5 hours in the morning and then a second group comes for the afternoon block. Students will spend part of their time in the classroom and the rest in the “lab” – immersing themselves in the “hands-on experience” that is so vital to their training.
Because CATEC courses are electives, our students choose to come here. Click here for more details about all our classes in our Program of Studies. Administrators and instructors participate in recruiting events such as CATEC’s Open House, local Career Fairs, and hosting perspective students. This would include events held during work hours and 6-8 curriculum fairs (per year) at the base high schools outside of school hours.
What responsibilities you will have:
- Administering and evaluating the instructional program of the school
- Coordinating and administering student personnel services
- Recruiting new students at the base high schools
- Assisting the Director in:
- administering staff personnel procedures in accordance with approved policies
- administering the financial and building needs of the school
- establishing and maintaining an effective school/community relations program
- Promoting CATEC as a “school of choice” to students, parents, and community stakeholders.
Click here to read all of the job details.
Why you will want to work here with us:
- We pay based on your years of experience and qualifications; this is in accordance with the Albemarle County Administrative/Classified Hiring Ranges.
- We offer the same great benefit package that Albemarle County does.
- We are committed to the concept of life-long learning and professional development. We have monthly staff meetings and Professional Learning Community meetings 2-3 times a month; both provide chances to collaborate and support one another.
- No two days are ever the same.
- CATEC students receive relevant/CATEC specific Career Development training while they are here so that they are able to market the skills and training they have been taught.
- We follow the Albemarle County School Calendar; click here to see the current version.
This is what one of our graduates had to say about their training at CATEC:
“I will tell you, CATEC played a big part in where I’m at today. Making the decision to attend CATEC was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. It is the school that helped shape my career, absolutely.”
Director of Plant Operations
Poplar Springs Hospital
Do you want to join our staff?
Please apply using this link to the Albemarle County Human Resources’ job openings page.
The position will be open until filled. If you have the qualifications we are looking for, you will be contacted for an interview. Feel free to contact Leslie Chisholm 434-973-4461 ext. 69013 or email@example.com if you have any questions.